You might not think too much about a house rewiring now, but you may after you learn that home electrical problems can lead to a physically and financially devastating fire. Mr. Sparky is here to help you recognize the signs that you may want to look into having your home rewired by a professional electrician.
Don’t Become a Statistic
It’s estimated that 50 percent of home fires are caused by electrical problems. Even though having your home completely rewired can be expensive, it’s a step that could potentially save your home as well as your life and the lives of your family.
There are certain signs that you’ll want to be on the lookout for that indicate that you might want to schedule an inspection with a Long Island electrician. These warning signs include:
- Constantly blowing fuses or tripping breakers
- Over-fused or over-amped electrical panel
- Flickering or dimming lights
- Discolored or hot plugs, switch plates or cords
- The smell of something burning
- Bulbs that are constantly burning out
- Sizzling or buzzing sounds
- Electric arcs or sparks shooting out of the outlet when you unplug or plug in a cord
- Loose outlets
Timing Is Everything
As for the best time for a house rewiring, it’s recommended that you have it done if your home is more than 40 years old, if you mainly use extension cords for power or if you have aluminum instead of copper wiring. It’s also a good idea to have your home rewired if you have recently made improvements to your home or added any new major appliances that could put a strain on your electrical system.
For more information about house rewiring, or if you have any other home electrical questions, get in touch with our electrical experts here at Mister Sparky at 631-424-2046.